Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Interview with a Sawfish Lawyer: Evaluating Legal Tools to Protect Marine Species At Risk

 



    In our newest blog we are excited to share our interview with Olga Koubrak. Olga is a lawyer and the founder of an environmental law clinic, SeaLife Law, working on the protections of threatened species within the Caribbean. During her master’s at Dalhousie University, Olga focused on the legalities surrounding sawfish in this region and is continuing this research as a PhD candidate at Dalhousie. We were excited for the chance to talk with Olga about the joining of law and sawfish conservation so check out our blog below to learn more!

1. Can you explain to our readers a bit about your graduate research on sawfish in the Caribbean? Where in the world were you based during your master’s research? 

I was based in Halifax, Canada, for the duration of my Master’s at Dalhousie University, where I studied international legal frameworks applicable to Caribbean states. I was looking to understand whether these frameworks protect sawfishes and their habitat and I found that the Specially Protected Areas and Wildlife (SPAW) Protocol to the Cartagena Convention was the instrument with the greatest potential to make a difference for sawfishes. This is because of the strength of its protective measures as well as the participation of countries identified as conservation priorities by the IUCN’s Sawfish: A Global Conservation Strategy. I have since become an observer to the SPAW Protocol myself and am using the findings from my research to advocate for better sawfish protections in the Caribbean.   

2. What are you working on now as a PhD student?

For my PhD, I’m evaluating the effectiveness of the UNEP’s Regional Seas Programmes (RSPs) at protecting marine species at risk. It is a much broader study than my earlier project as it is global in scale and covers all marine species threatened with extinction. I hope this project will inform the design and operation of the inter-governmental bodies tasked with administering the RSPs.  

The meeting of the Conference of Parties to the SPAW Protocol in Honduras.
The meeting of the Conference of Parties to the SPAW Protocol in Honduras.  



3. We have not interviewed many researchers working on the legal side of sawfish conservation. How did you first get involved or interested in this subject?

I have a law degree and tend to view everything through the prism of the law. As such, viewing conservation through its laws came very naturally to me. Even conceptually, the combination of law and conservation makes sense because at its core, the law is about the exercise of power and the protection of certain interests. In all areas of environmental law, we’re recognizing we need stronger legal frameworks to protect what we hold dear. Endangered species – including sawfish -- naturally fall into that category.

Showing off my handmade sawfish.



4. When in your studies did you begin SeaLife Law? How/why did you begin this law clinic?

I started SeaLife Law before I began graduate studies, while I was volunteering through the Wider Caribbean Sea Turtle Conservation Network (WIDECAST). It was clear to me that there was a need for access to legal information and advice in the Caribbean. Initially, I envisaged SeaLife Law as a clinic where grassroots conservation groups could get the legal support they need. But as I became more involved with sawfish and the inter-governmental organizations in the region, my focus has shifted towards advocating for effective protection and management of at-risk species within these forums. My long-term goal is to engage law students from across the Caribbean in SeaLife’s work and make environmental law a viable career option for them.  

Presenting at the regional pre-CITES preparations workshop in Dominican Republic. (Photo credit: Rebecca Regnery)


5. Have you ever seen a sawfish in the wild? If so, can you tell us the story of that encounter? If not, what is the closest you have ever come to seeing a sawfish (e.g., aquarium, museum, etc.).  

It’s my dream to see a sawfish in the wild! I saw my very first sawfish at the Ripley’s Aquarium in my hometown of Toronto. It was just chilling on top of the walking tunnel looking magnificent. The closest I’ve ever come to a live sawfish was at the outdoor aquarium at the Atlantis Resort in Nassau. I was completely mesmerized by the graceful movement of these unique fish and couldn’t stop watching them swim around.   

The closest I’ve ever been to a sawfish. 



6. What was it about the Caribbean legalities that interested you compared to focusing on Indo-Pacific legalities?

The mosaic of international and domestic laws in the Caribbean is absolutely fascinating. There is so much diversity. Plus, the Caribbean is very complex politically, economically and culturally. There are over thirty territories, some sovereign countries, other dependencies; three official languages; as well some of the wealthiest and poorest nations in the Western hemisphere.  These factors make working in the region extremely challenging and interesting at the same time. While I would love to work on sawfish in the Indo-Pacific region as well, to me the Caribbean will always have a peculiar beauty and charm!    

7. In your opinion what is the most difficult thing to consider concerning the legalities protecting sawfish? 

I think you have to be an eternal optimist to do this work. Progress is incremental and slow; it’s easy to get frustrated or disillusioned. Many countries that still have sawfish and lack legal protections tend to have other priorities for political action. Inter-governmental bodies often lack legal and institutional capacity to demand implementation of international commitments embedded in the agreements. But I have hope for sawfish in the Caribbean. As more people become aware of the plight of these iconic species, hopefully more and more countries will be willing to protect them.     

No comments:

Post a Comment